Moisture in the basement is not uncommon and can be a huge problem for many households. In some of the cases, these moisture issues are left untreated and hence can contribute towards other greater issues, including those related to an individual’s health. But the good thing is that moisture issues can be controlled and solved.
Understand The Problem
The first step towards ridding your basement of condensation is to perhaps understand why the problem is arising and where this water is coming in from. Moisture will usually arise from three possible sources:
Through liquid ground water or rain
Interior sources of moisture like unvented clothes dryers, cooking, bathrooms, humidifiers, and moisture within concrete after its construction
Exterior humidity that might enter the basement
The Symptoms Of Condensation In The Basement
- Condensation on floor and cold walls during the summer season
- Humid and damp air
- Deterioration of the wood or carpet
- Spalling of masonry or concrete, or efflorescence
- Mold, mildew, and odor
- Decay and rot of joists, wood headers, columns, and sill plates
- Saturated base of the concrete block walls
- Blistering and staining of wall covering
- Standing water over the floor
- Water trickling out from the walls
Solutions To The Numerous Causes
- Keep a strict control of all the interior sources of moisture
- If it is summertime, then try not to ventilate the basement with the outside air
- Correct the gutter, downspout, and grading system
- Provide an exterior or interior system of drainage
Important Things To Consider
- A dehumidifier can provide assistance in reducing the symptoms of odor and humidity. However, it will not provide a complete solution to the issue at hand.
- A coating or membrane on the interior without it providing proper drainage will, in most of the cases, not solve the pertaining issues in the long term.
- Walls need to be dry before their insulation. Slabs should be dry and warm before they are carpeted.
- If you have a basement, then keeping a track of all its needs and requirements in properly taking care of it is of utmost importance.
- Moisture is a common issue with the basements, especially in the summertime, and hence it needs to be resolved in a timely manner.
For any further information regarding basements, you can give us a call or get in touch with us through email. We would be more than happy to assist you in whatever way possible and make sure that all your basement related needs are fulfilled. Basements are a great addition to homes, and it is your responsibility to make sure that they are well kept.
Back to Blogs